Principal recalls horror that ex-student was school shooterFebruary 13, 2018 8:54pm

ANDERSON, S.C. (AP) — When a teen began firing at students on a South Carolina elementary school's playground, the principal said her horror became even worse when she recognized him as a former student.

"He's been here. He knows where our kids are. He knows how we drill," Townville Elementary School Principal Denise Frederick testified on Tuesday.

News outlets reported that Frederick took the stand at a hearing to determine if the teen will be tried as an adult for two counts of murder — one for the September 2016 shooting of his father in their home, and another for the first grader killed at the school a short while later.

The teen, who turned 14 just weeks before the shootings, surrendered without entering the school. In an interview with investigators played in court Monday, he said he loaded the wrong ammunition into the gun, and it jammed each time he fired at the school playground.

He said he thanked God for the gun jams, saying it prevented him from shooting more people.

Jacob Hall, 6, was shot in the leg and bled to death. A teacher was wounded in the shoulder and another student was hurt, but both survived.

Prosecutors want the teen tried as an adult, where he could face decades in prison if convicted. His attorneys want him tried as a juvenile, where he could be held only until his 21st birthday if found guilty.

The Associated Press is not using the defendant's name while he remains in the juvenile court system.

Later Tuesday, prosecutors showed the judge surveillance video from the shooting that showed panicked children trying to get back inside. They also showed crime scene photos with an investigator pointing out details such as cupcake icing from treats, made by one student's grandmother, that the youngsters had been getting ready to eat.

The judge told reporters they could not show the video or photos outside the courtroom.

The teen's lawyers asked Frederick what she knew about his chaotic home life. He told investigators his father was a drunk who had loud arguments with his mother and tried to fight him. He said he spent most of his time locked in his room, posting to social media or petting his bunny.

Don Smith, a lawyer assigned to be the teen's guardian, suggested in questions Monday that the teen's father might have had him kill chickens that weren't growing fast enough at the family's home. School officials did not know, and the guardian Smith did not elaborate.

The shooting forever changed Townville Elementary School, Frederick said, recalling a school event where a balloon popped, bringing back horrible memories for dozens.

"Our kids ask us: 'Is he coming back? Is he going to hurt us again?'" Frederick said.

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

Sandra McAdams, grandmother of Jacob Hall, left, hugs Townville Elementary teachers assistant Pamela Sanchez at the Anderson County Courthouse on Friday, Feb. 16, 2018 in Anderson, S.C. Jesse Osborne, a boy who was 14 when he was charged in the shooting death of his father at their home and Jacob Hall, a first-grader on a South Carolina elementary school playground will be tried as an adult, a judge ruled Friday. (Ken Ruinard/The Independent-Mail via AP, Pool)
Teen to be tried as adult in South Carolina school shooting
Expert says teen charged in 2 deaths shouldn't be releasedA neuropsychologist says a teen suspect who shot and killed his father before going to a South Carolina school and killing a first-grader shouldn't be released
Defense begins for teen in South Carolina school shootingA jail psychiatrist says a teen accused of killing his father and a first-grader at a South Carolina school seemed sad and sorry shortly after the 2016 shooting
Kentucky teen charged as adult in fatal school shootingsA 15-year-old boy accused of opening fire inside his Kentucky high school will face murder charges in adult court
Juliana Cruz stands on a street corner holding up an anti gun sign in Parkland, Fla., on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018.  As families begin burying their dead, authorities are questioning whether they could have prevented the attack at the high school where a gunman, Nikolas Cruz, took several lives.  (AP Photo/Brynn Anderson)
State investigated after school shooting suspect cut himself
5 referred to juvenile court in North Dakota hazing incidentAuthorities have referred five boys to juvenile court for their alleged roles in a hazing incident at a small North Dakota school
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices